Monday, November 25, 2013

Reaching Out

We had fifteen minutes until our four o'clock baptism
and it took ten minuets to be there.
I was determined to be there on time.

Pulling through our usual short cut behind the strip mall complex,
I noticed a figure approaching on the horizon.

In the shadow of the building sitting there, all to herself, a woman sat cross legged on the pavement
multicolored dreadlocks, an assortment of jewelry, and layered in what only I can describe as cloaks. She sat there. Minding her own business, looking very content.

The least I could do was wave, of course.

We honked and joyfully exchanged waves to each other

Her smile, was so nice, so pleasant and inviting. If only we had more time, we could have stopped...

Go back

It was more of a gentle feeling in the back of my mind,
but I quickly pushed it aside.
We were going to be late,

I pulled up to the stop light, waiting impatiently for the light to change.

Go back, and talk to her

I cruised through the green light

No, I told myself, there will be another opportunity,
 I'm sure she sits there often, we will visit her again.
I told myself every excuse not to talk to her.

The only person I was fighting was myself

We have to go back, I told my companion

Applying everything I learned in Drivers Ed, (Hi, Mom!) I turned the car around.

We went back and talked to the lady,
she lived quite the life,
she has traveled all around the world with a dance company
works at a health food store.

She had a passion for nature, and she was a very giving and open person.

I felt the goodness of her spirit, she had such a sweet nature about her.

 Her ride pulled up abruptly ending our conversation, she bowed to us, wished us a great day, and headed off to her next destination.

I know I was supposed to go back.
I wish I had listened sooner, to have more time with her.

After talking with her it reaffirmed me in my purpose.
Why I'm here, why I stop and talk to people,
Even when it seems awkward and outlandish.

When we take the time to notice those around us,
we can reach out to them

If we don't try, we'll never know what kind of a difference we can make in their life.

So often I hear prayers for, "please help the missionaries find the pure in heart"

I am touched when people think of us enough to ask those blessing from God.
But there is only two of us, and two thousand members of the church in our assigned proselyting area,

Imagine we all all rephrased our prayers, "please help me and my family, all of us, and Elder/Sister [so and so] to find someone to be taught.."

We have to work together.

“Now is the time for members and missionaries to come together … 
[and] labor in the Lord’s vineyard to bring souls unto Him. 
He has prepared the means for us to share the gospel in a multitude of ways, 
and He will assist us in our labors if we will act in faith to fulfill His work”
 - President Monson

"You don’t have to be an outgoing person or an eloquent, persuasive teacher. If you have an abiding love and hope within you, the Lord has promised if you “lift up your voices unto this people [and] speak the thoughts that [He] shall put into your hearts, … you shall not be confounded before men...
- Elder Ballard, read the rest (click here)

I know this work I do is not about me. 
This about rescuing people, 
this is about bringing families closer together because of Jesus Christ.

I invite you to share this post, and to pray for the missionaries in your assigned area by name.
I know as we ask the Lord, He will help us, and reach out to people, that we can help people receive happiness and the strength to endure in this world

-Elder Ellsworth

On June 23rd 2013, the world changed forever, be a part of this amazing movement (here)


No comments:

Post a Comment