Friday, August 23, 2013

Learning How to Walk

I don't like it when I make mistakes.

I could be wrong but I'm sure you don't enjoy making mistakes either.
For the longest time, I would feel bad about the mistakes that I would make.
And then I heard this quote, and it helped me not feel so bad anymore.

"We have all seen a toddler learn to walk. He takes a small step and totters. He falls. Do we scold such an attempt? Of course not. What father would punish a toddler for stumbling? We encourage, we applaud, and we praise because with every small step, the child is becoming more like his parents."
"...compared to the perfection of God, we mortals are scarcely more than awkward, faltering toddlers. But our loving Heavenly Father wants us to become more like Him, and, dear brethren, that should be our eternal goal too. God understands that we get there not in an instant but by taking one step at a time." -Dieter F. Uchtdorf

In my limited understanding, I believed mistakes were something to dwell on, something to worry about, something to never forget.

That is self deception

I am a toddler learning how to walk.

And instead of counting how many times, I fall.

I am learning to count on the steps I do take.

And keep heading towards the loving arms of my Heavenly Father.

Life lesson:
Be kind to yourself. Be kind to others.
We're all learning how to walk.

1 comment: